Our Home is a Battlefield

July 8, 2010

We have a not so secret garden.
We grow our own vegetables.
Early stages of the garden - May 2010
We have a compost pile for kitchen scraps.

We have an irrigation system to water the garden.

We like homegrown tomatoes especially when they look like this.
garden
Apparantly, so do the rodents living around my house.

In the last two weeks, the majority of our ripe and just starting to ripen tomatoes have been attacked at night by varmints.

Tim went out on the attack earlier this week and bought two large cages and a few rat traps. All were set off the next day with nothing in them.
Rodent traps in the garden
If you're keeping score at home.

Rodents 1  - Us 0

Then he bought mouse traps and set them last night at the base of the tomato plants.
garden
This morning I didn't wake up to the alarm clock but "Deb, We Got One! Come check out this fat bastard."

Exhibit A
Dead mouse from the garden
I said out loud that I hoped he was the only one. Tim responded, where there's one there's many.

Current score:
Rodents 1 - Us 1

I'm guest blogging over at Cathy Has Antsy Pants. She and I have become "internet friends." We may actually meet in real life in October when she leaves the frozen tundra of Minnesota and heads to Virginia. Check out her site.
www.WebSavvyMom.com

10 Comment:

June July 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Tim is right... there is probably a whole family of those little bastards around. Make sure they don't find their way into your house or all hell will break loose.

Nice garden! Wish mine looked as nice and tidy but I crammed a ton of veggies into a small space so it will be a toss up to see what will produce.

Liz Mays July 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

Oh nasty! Did you have to show me that?

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Rat bastage! Serves him/her/it right!!!

Di

Tickled Red July 8, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

Oh My Word!! No varmints here. Even the fuzzy tailed ones have left the garden alone. The heat on the other hand...Boo! I love your set up though :)

writer.elh@gmail.com July 8, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

I wish my tomatoes looked like yours. Mine are pretty scrawny, but my bell peppers have gone crazy. Enjoy your wonderful veggies.

Sara July 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

The giant, raging tree hugger in my is so jealous of your beautiful garden and your magnificent irrigation system.

I would compost with you.

Vodka Logic July 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

Ewww, but yah for you..there is nothing so good as a fresh tomato sandwich

The Only Girl July 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

Awesome garden!
Disgusting rodent.
Cool new header.

Hope you win the battle.

Cathy July 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

ew ew ew ew ew. and ew.

I hope you kill them all.

The Zadge July 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

Ok, I have garden envy - even with the rodents! My tomatoes are dying on the vine! And thanks for stopping by my little blog - nice to meet a new blogger friend, even if she is a Hokie! Wahoo-Wa!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please include your blog address so I can visit your site too.
You can also find me at http://www.facebook.com/WebSavvyMom and on Twitter at http://www.Twitter.com/DebThaxton.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

WebSavvyMom's Favorite Pictures

Blog Archive

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Number of visitors:

  © Blogger template On The Road by 2009

Back to TOP